Sunday, February 8, 2009

Beware. Fake M.A.C products online.

As some of my closest friends know, I'm a total M.A.C addict. Even my mum used to be bothered by it, cause she's kind of a drugstore brand person. But now she's just used to it already, and not complaining anymore. =) I'm not saying that drugstore brands are not good, some of the beauty products that I use are drugstore brands (eg. my HG scrub!). But when it comes to makeup, I'm a bit picky, and it's just a personal preference.

So, back to the topic. One of my favorite blog (Pursebuzz) has recently had a post talking and warning us about a site which is selling fake M.A.C products. It's just heartbreaking to see to what extend people are willing to cheat and earn innocent people's money. I mean it's just not fair that some unaware soul would come-by the site thinking that they are getting a good deal, when all they are getting is overpriced cheap "fake" makeup. It makes me sick.

Another place where people would commonly sell fake M.A.C and other high-end cosmetic products is the good-old eeeBay. In fact, when I first started getting into the whole makeup and beauty thing, I did surf around that site trying to search for a good deal. But I never bought anything, cause they look kind of fishy. And it turns out, most of the stuff that I thought was a "good deal" was a fake after all (I only found out about this later on, through other bloggers).

The most common fake M.A.C out there are full sized pigments, brushes and eyeshadows. That is cause we all know how good their pigments, brushes and eyeshadows are. And this is why these people will take the risk and try to sell fakes to us.

Think about it. Would you rather pay the full price and get authentic, good quality products; or pay 90% or 80% of the original price and get some low quality, god-knows-what-they-are-made-of, fake products?

So, here are some tips to help you avoid these fake-MAC traps:
  1. M.A.C eyeshadow palettes will never have sponge tip applicators. Most of the palettes come with a mini MAC #213 brush.
  2. M.A.C individual eyeshadow pots does not have an accompanied sponge tip applicator. If they do, then it'll most probably be a fake.
  3. If you see a brush set that has like 18 or 24 brushes together with a brush roll, beware. M.A.C does not sell their brushes like that. Most of the limited edition and holiday brush set will only have up to 5 brushes (depending on which set).
  4. Always buy from authorized sites and parties. The safest way to this is, of course, through M.A.C's website, M.A.C Pro's site (if you are a Pro member) or go to the store (this way, you'll get to swatch and talk to some of the talented MAs there).
  5. And lastly, if the price seems too good to be true, it most probably is. Trust your own instinct. If you think something fishy is going on, then stay away from the site or the seller.
Have you been a victim of these irresponsible seller? Or do you have a friend or family member that has gone through this before? Do you have tips and tricks that you would like to share? I would love to hear all about it. Please leave a comment. =)

2 comments:

Svannah said...

Its crazy how just recently all the people I watch on Youtube and their blogs have been talking about this fake MAC. I, myself, am a HUGE MAC fan...I mean...I don't really care about much else, and I did the same thing you did...I looked on ebay for a deal. I noticed the brush sets they were offering. I could tell there was something off about them because of their appearence and I noticed that there were shipped from Japan. So I was lucky enough to trust my gut and not get them.

Just want to thank you for putting the info out there....many people need to know and the people selling it need to know we know its fake. :)

PS. Good luck with the blog! I'm just starting out too. :)

Vicky said...

Hi Svannah. Yay! Another huge MAC fan. ;)

Oh ya...I totally agree with you. Just the looks of the brushes should have triggered the first red flag already.

I think the hardest one to tell in the pictures would be pigments. But just by looking at the ridiculously low prices, one should start avoiding it already.

And I love your octupus. =P It's soooo cute. Can't get over it.

Post a Comment