Thursday, February 12, 2009

Review: M.A.C Blonde, Brunette and Redhead - Brushes

Brushes, brushes, brushes. Where do I start. =)

These babies are absolutely gorgeous. I know, I'm talking about brushes like they are some kind of doll or something. Haha. Weirdo. But honestly, I have no regrets in buy all 3 of them from the collection. All of them are really soft, and as they are MAC brushes, we all know they will last for a very long time (needless to say).

Top to Bottom: 165, 226, 214

Lets start with the cute little 165 (okay, it's not THAT little). It is a small tapered cheek/highlight brush. It's made of soft natural bristles, and trust me, it really is oh-so-soft. It is as soft as the 182 kabuki brush. The brush has a rose-bud shape that come up to a point. I find it really great for cheek highlighting and to apply the new MSFs that came out with this collection. This is my favorite cheek brush at the moment as it let me has a lot of control over where I want my blushes/MSFs to be. It picks up quite an amount of powder and blends really well. And because it's so soft, blending is a dream.

This is said to be a smaller version of the 138 tapered face brush. I don't own that one, so I can't really compare it in person. So, just to show how 'small' it is, I compare it with the very famous 187.

Top to bottom: 187, 165

Next stop is the 226. Before this, the only crease/blending brush that I have from MAC is the 217. While it does blend really well, I find it to be a tad too big for my Asian (small) eyes. So, in the end, I end up spreading the crease color all over the place (so not cool). The 226 is the perfect replacement for my crease blending purpose. It's slight pointy, which means I can blend at a smaller area (without spreading the crease color up to my highlight area). It gives me more control and allows me to do the outer-V color as well. One can even do the cut-crease style with precision using this brush.

Here's a comparison of the 226 with the mighty 217. See how the 226 is more 'rounded' while the 217 is more 'flat'.

Top to bottom: 217, 226

And here's a comparison of those two from the top. Notice how the bristles for the 226 are all gathered into a point, but the 217 is more spread out. Actually, the 217 in this photo is more fluffed up than it should be (cause I didn't shape it properly after washing it last night). It should be more 'thin' on the sides, if you get what I mean. And as you can see, the 226 is obviously smaller then the 217. Which means, more control for your blending work. =)

L to R: 226, 217

And finally, the 214. It's a mini shader brush. It's very much the little little brother/sister of the 239. If you have a 239, just imagine it got a lot shorter and it got on a diet (aka thinner). Haha.
It is very firm and the bristles come to tapered point. Therefore, it is excellent for smudging eyeliners and eyeshadow for those sexy smokey eye look. It can also be used for packing on pigments or eyeshadows on the lid. I've only tried this for smudging, and I absolutely love it. Now, my 219 is just sitting there in my brush holder being neglected. Though I still sometimes use it for outer-V purposes. The 214 has officially become my HG brush for lower lash eyeliner smudge brush.

Here's a picture to show how it looks like from the side.

214 from the side

Many has compared the 214 to the Sephora smudge brush. From the photo provided by Sephora.com, it does look alike. But, I can't really tell for sure until I get the chance to see it in real life.

So, will you be getting any of the brushes? =)

0 comments:

Post a Comment