Monday, March 30, 2009

Review: Lancome UV Expert with DNA Shield sunscreen

As some sort of a follow-up to one of my weekly poll, this would be a review about my favorite sunscreen.

I have previously tried many sunscreens, and most of them are either too oily to my liking or they just simply smells. When I say they smell, I mean they have this very strong "suncreen smell". You know how most sunscreen for your body has this "smell". I don't really know how to describe it, but it's just this really artificial chemical-ish smell. And that I just cannot tolerate. I have not been using suncreen on my face, because of the smell. And that all changed after I discovered Lancome's UV Expert with DNA shield.



LancĂ´me's best advanced research UV protection. Legendary Texture.

A true shield against UV rays and pollution, UV EXPERT DNA SHIELD™ SPF 30 / PA+++ protects the skin down to the very DNA of the cells to preserve its natural and original qualities. The skin is ideally protected and maintains its youthfulness. It looks more even and translucent. It is radiant and glows with health. -- lancome.com.sg

Now, first on the pakaging. Lancome always has this really classy packaging to all their products. Maybe their market aim is at the more mature group of the population, but who cares right? As long as the product works, I don't care if it's cater for older people or even for men. =P The tube itself looks really nice. I can't get over how nice the packaging is. Here's one thing to note. I'm not the kind of person that buys something just for the packaging. But it just so happens that this product is good and the packaging is pretty. In fact, good is an understatement. It's freaking awesome. It's hands down the best sunscreen I've ever used. I've tried from drugstore brand to department store brand. And this is the only sunscreen I'll ever use on my face. If I don't have this with me, I'll just rather not use sunscreen. I'm a bit picky when it comes to what I put on my face. Weirdo.

Lancome's UV Expert with DNA shield is probably the only sunscreen that I've tried that does not have the "sunscreen smell". It does has some kind of scent, but nothing too overpowering or unbearable. Just so you can gauge how sensitive I am to smell, I don't use any of MAC's liquid foundation and the Body Shop's moisturizer that has SPF in it cause I can't stand the sunscreen smell they have in there. My MAC MA thinks that it's amazing that I can actually "smell" it. Cause she said that she didn't even notice that sunscreen has a smell. LOL. So yeah, that's me. =P The sunscreen applies on smoothly and it give me this natural glow. I think there's something in the formula that reflects light or something. It makes your skin has this really healthy glow but doesn't look like oil-shine. And I even suspect that it makes my skin tone looks more even. Or maybe I'm just imagining stuff here. =)

And the most important thing of all, it does not feel oily at all. Nada. Zero. No oil. It contains Filipendula Ulmaria that is able to regulate sebum production. After I apply it on my face, and let it settle in for like 30 seconds, I can't even feel that I have any products on. I have combo skin with an oily t-zone (mostly on my nose). So, it being not oily is a huge plus to me. I don't want to be left with a super shiny nose.

This sunscreen even protects you from environment pollutant. Wow! Talk about awesome-ness. Lancome claims that with its PolluSafe™ Complex and Vitamin E nanocapsules, it is able to protect the skin from pollutant in the air. Now, how true is that, I can never tell. So, I'll just have to take their words for granted on this one.

Here are some of my thoughts/opinions on what I feel about the product.

Pros:
  1. DNA shield technology prevents sun damaging and stress on your skin. With news about skin cancer spreading around the globe, some kind of "DNA shield" is always a plus for me.
  2. None oily formula. Especially good for people with combo or oily skin, as this will be less likely to break you out or make you look like and oil mine.
  3. No sunscreen smell. Okay, now this might be a pro only to me. LOL.
  4. Very comfortable wear. You won't feel a thing after you put this on. No yucky thick sunscreen feeling what-so-ever.
  5. Comes in a choice of SPF30 and SPF50, and it even has a tinted makeup base range. So you can pick with to get according to your needs. If you'll be indoors most of the time and will only be under the sun when walking to the car or during lunch breaks, then SPF30 is more than enough. If you're going to be outdoors most of the time during the day, then you'll need the SPF50 one.
  6. With Mexoryl® SX and XL, it provides wide spectrum UVA-UVB protection. Means it'll block out most of the harmful UV rays from your skin.
  7. Long wearing. Both SPF30 and SPF50 will provide up to 12 hours of sun protection. But remember to re-apply if you've been in the water or have been sweating a lot.
  8. Nice small packaging, which makes it very travel friendly. A good size to tote around in your purse.

Cons:
  1. None that I can think of at the moment.

All in all, I absolutely adore this sunscreen. I would highly recommend this to anyone that comes to me asking for sunscreen recommendations. =)

I can't seem to find this on the Lancome USA website. So this is leading me to suspect that this might be an Asia exclusive product. Let me know if you've seen this outside of Asia.

What's you favorite facial sunscreen? Or have you fallen in love with this one?


Photo and info source: Lancome

2 comments:

Tine said...

I tried out a sample of this before, and I agree with you, it definitely does not have that sunscreen-y smell, and is oil-free. I've always wanted to try this out, but is always distracted by other sunscreens instead :P

I'm currently using sunscreen by Cancer Council Australia, which is fab :)

Caramel Geek said...

Hi Tine!
How have you been? =)

You have to get this. *shoo away all the other sunscreens* =P haha.

I've heard of the sunscreen by CCA as well (when I was studying in NZ). But never got a chance to try it out.

Post a Comment