Sunday, March 8, 2009

Review: M.A.C Mineralize SPF 15 Loose Foundation


As a continuation to last week's poll, I decided to do a review on the current foundation that I'm using: M.A.C Mineralize SPF 15 Loose Foundation.
A lightweight loose powder mineral foundation that provides the skin with a smooth, radiant, natural finish. Brushes on the skin for medium-buildable coverage. Special mineral complex helps keep skin healthy and nourished while the blend of moisturizers and conditioners in the formula help create a smooth, flawless application. Provides everyday SPF 15 sun protection. -- MACcosmetics.com
This foundation was introduced as part of the Mineralized collection, which is permanent now. It is a lightweight loose powder that gives you a light-to-medium coverage. I know MAC's website says that it's medium-buildable, but I'm positive that it's light-to-medium. It goes on smoothly and does not give you that cakey look that some other powder foundation can. Looks very natural and gives your skin a radiant glow. Definitely not anything too over the top. With that said, I don't think this will be suitable for people with super oily skin, as it'll become very "shinny" after a while, due to the light reflecting properties. I have combination skin and I don't have a problem with it at all. I've been using it for 6 months already and it has yet to break me out. Mind you, I have sensitive skin that will turn red easily.

The foundation comes with a sponge applicator. It is supposed to be used to buff the foundation into your skin. Now, I've tried numerous times to use the sponge buffer, but it fails to deliver that smooth natural finish. So, I apply mine with the M.A.C #182 kabuki brush. The brush buffs the powder in nicely and it actually evens out my skintone.

Here are some of my thoughts of the product.

Pros:
  1. The powder is very finely milled, so it'll buff in nicely on to your skin, giving you a very natural look.
  2. It has SPF15. Hey, everyone needs some extra sun protection these day eh.
  3. The container is not as big as some other conventinal loose powder case. Easier to carry around.
  4. Gives you a nice glow, without looking like a disco ball. LOL.
  5. Feels very comfortable on your skin. Does feel like you're wearing anything at all.
  6. Buildable. From light coverage to medium.
  7. Doesn't look cakey at all.
Cons:
  1. The coverage is light-to-medium. So, if you're looking for more coverage, then this is not a good choice for you.
  2. May require some touch up through out the day. I apply mine at 7am and need to touch up around my T-zone by the time it reaches 12pm.
  3. The odd-shaped container may not be the most travel friendly shape.
  4. Because the pot is kindda small, it's really hard to do the whole swirl-and-tap motion.
  5. The sponge buff that comes with it is no good at all. I have to use a kabuki brush for it.
Overall, it's a nice foundation, but I wouldn't say it's the best. It's okay.

Have you tried this before? What do you think about it?


Photo and info source: M.A.C cosmetics

0 comments:

Post a Comment