Saturday, April 18, 2009

Review: M.A.C Sugarsweet Collection

Overall, I think the star of the collection are the shadesticks. They are definitely worth checking out.

The new packaging of the new shadesticks are essentially the same as the old one, only that the new ones are fully colored according to the shadestick shade rather than plain old black. The packing is not the reason why I picked these up, it's the texture and the color.

And here's the photo comparing the 2 new shadesticks to Beige-ing.

Top to bottom: Lemon Chiffon, Butternutty, Beige-ing shadesticks

Before I start blabbing about how much I like these, here's a swatch comparing those 3 together:

Left to right: Beige-ing, Butternutty and Lemon Chiffon shadesticks
(on NC20 skin; indoor lighting)

Let me start with the texture. This time, M.A.C has done it right. The shadesticks are smooth as butter and glides on the lid like a dream. I know a lot of you have been complaining about shadesticks tugging on the lid and hard to apply. The news ones, however, are super super soft. I tried it out today and it is very smooth. M.A.C has been denying that these are re-fomulated, but I'm pretty sure something must have changed in the formula compared to the old ones. And just like their older siblings, the new ones serve as good eyeshadow bases and looked good even on its own. They make your eyeshadow or pigment color pop like nothing.

Second of, the color. Pale white gold shadestick? Count me in! Pewter shadestick? Me want me want! Yes, I am that excited. Now there is something that will make my beloved Gold Dusk pigment pop like nothing. Lemon Chiffon is a very pretty pale white gold that applies very smooth. It'll serve as a very good base for any gold or yellow undertone eyeshadows. While Butternutty is a frosted beige color. It is very very close to Beige-ing. Butternutty may be a little bit more beige, while Beige-ing is a bit more champange. But Butternutty's texture is way way better than Beige-ing. There's no contest at all. So, if you like Beige-ing, you'll definitely love Butternutty. And lastly, Cakeshop (not shown in pic) is a pretty pewter shade with slight green undertone. It'll look really good under any eyeshadows will sliver, grey or green undertone. I did not get Cakeshop this time as I've managed to swapped for it and it's on it's way to me now. Can't wait to try it out. =)

Here's a summary of what I think about the rest of the collection I did not buy:

Eye Shadows
  • Sugarshot - This is a pale frosted beige. It's like another other highlight color. And it's a Lustre. That's the main reson why I did not get it.
  • Dear Cupcake - Pinkish coral shade. Coral never looked good on me. =(
  • Aquavert - This one is pretty. It's a pale minty green. And it's a veluxe pearl! I didn't get it this time cause I've already got the one from Lure collection (with the green packaging).
  • Stars 'n' Rockets - Pinkish lavender. Permanent color. So, no rush.
  • Club - A reddish brown with green duochrome. Again, permanent.
Shadesticks
  • Red Velvet - Frosted pink. Very pretty. But I don't see myself reaching for it that much.
  • Penny - This is a repromote. It's a mid-tone copper with slight pink undertone. Again, don't see myself using it.
As for the others, I didn't swatch them as I'm not a big fan of lip colors and M.A.C's nail polishes.
The other star of the collection are the MSFs. Both of them are really light. One can probably use them for highlight purposes only. I'm not a big fan of highlight MSFs, thus didn't get any.
And the tri-color lipglasses? Not my cup of tea. They are really sheer and the tri-color factor is totally overrated IMHO. The testers in the store are not even "tri-color" anymore. The colors are all already mixed together. =P

Did you get anything from the collection?

Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

Paint Me Gorgeous said...

i love butternutty!!!

Caramel Geek said...

Gorgeous:
Me too! Isn't it pretty? And the texture is just so divine. =)

Caramel Geek said...

Gorgeous:
Did you get anything from this collection?

Post a Comment