An ultra-fluid lotion formulated with special-effect silicones. Calms and soothes the skin, blots away excess oil, and evens out skin redness. Improves the laydown and application of foundation or powder. -- maccosmetics.com
The MAC Prep + Prime Skin is a foundation primer that comes in a black opaque bottle, with a pump dispenser. The product is a white color gel-like fluid that you apply pre-foundation. It'll help improve application of your foundation and even out skin texture. On top of that, it's also able to prolong the wear of your foundation and helps control oil. Although it looks white when you first pump it out from the bottle, it applies to a smooth transparent finish. The smooth-ness definitely comes from the silicons in it. Yes, it contains silicon. So, if you're allergic to silicons, this is not for you.
To use this, first apply moisturizer your face. You MUST moisturize. I can't stress how important it is to always moisturize before any type of makeup application. This will hydrate any dry areas and prevent flaking. Moisturizing before makeup application can also plump up your skin so that your makeup will look much much better. It doesn't matter if it's a moisturizing cream or an oil-control moisturizer, please moisturize. So after applying your moisturizer, let your skin absorb the moisturizer first. This will approximately take around 1 - 2 minutes. Then apply a thin layer of Prep + Prime Skin on your face. You'll only need a small amount. I use one and a half pump for my whole face. Let the the primer set for about another 1 - 2 minutes, then your face is ready of foundation or even powder. You can use this with all types of foundation, even with just powder alone.
The primer contains tiny little light reflecting particles. This will help you have that glowy looking skin. Don't worry, you won't look like a disco ball. It's very subtle and pretty, making skin look more "awake".
Here's a summary of my thoughts about this product:
- Evens out any skin uneveness.
- Makes foundation and powder application very smooth.
- Helps my foundation or powder last longer.
- Helps give you that glowy look (if that's what you're after).
- Helps control oiliness. Key word here is CONTROL. It will not prevent oil, just slightly control it. You'll probably still have to touch up after 5 hours.
- Even though it claims to be able to even out redness, no it doesn't. I have broken capilaries on my cheeks, which is still vividly visible even after applying this. (But to be fair, I still haven't find a product that is able to even that out. Except for foundations and concealers.)
- The opaque bottle makes it hard to estimate how much product that is left. This is not a down side of the product, more on the packaging.
Used this before? Love it? Hate it?
Info source: M.A.C Cosmetics