Monday, May 18, 2009

Review: Shiseido The Makeup Mascara Base

Writing this review will either break me or make me. The Shiseido The Makeup Mascara Base has a group of loyal followers and has been a long time cult favorite. So, today, I'll either be agreeing with the majority of you out there, or officially become the outcast amongst all the other beauty bloggers. =P


A clear base coat for eyelashes that improves mascara application and wear, as it boosts volume and curl. Adds dramatic definition to the eyes. Contains Multi-Nutrient Factor, an advanced moisturizer. Dermatologist- and ophthalmologist-tested. -- sephora.com

I bought this product after hearing and reading numerous raves about it. It promises fuller and longer lashes, which is exactly what I need. It comes is a rather "fat" looking tube and not the most attractive one. The brush itself is kind of chubby as well, which might be hard to work with if you have short lashes like mine. The product has a gel-like looking texture and is an off-white slightly gray-ish color. But fear not, this is not going to make you look like you have white lashes. =) It'll dry down to an almost transparent color. After that, just apply your regular mascara as usual.

Pros:
  1. Fuller lashes. Yes. It does make your lashes look like it has more volume.
  2. Longer lased. Bingo! I do not know how it does it, but it does help create longer looking lashes.
  3. Does not flake off.
Cons:
  1. It makes my lashes "crunchy". LOL. I find it funny to describe ones' lashes as "crunchy", but the sad truth is...IT IS! The mascara base dries down to a hard coat and makes my lashes hard. Ugh. And just because of that, it makes them look unnatural and makes mascara application harder.
  2. Chubby brush does not agree with me. =P
  3. Hard to remove. I have tried numerous mascara bases, and this one has to be the most stubborn one. It takes extra effort to actually remove it, which I do not have the patience for.
Overall, the product is just so-so for me. Nothing extraordinary. It definitely does not live up to its reputation as a holy grail mascara base. Would I buy it again? No.


Photo source: Sephora.com

6 comments:

em said...

crunchy lashes = scary! thanks for the honest review.

Caramel Geek said...

EM:

You're very welcome. =)

Tali said...

Lancome's one is better. You apply your mascara ehist its still a bit wet.. and wow does it keep lashes healthy!

Caramel Geek said...

Tali:

Ooo...I've yet to try the Lancome one. Maybe I should drop-by the Lancome counter this weekend =P

LucĂ­a said...

Thank you for the info!!!

Caramel Geek said...

Lucia:

Not a problem! ;)

Post a Comment