Saturday, May 2, 2009

Review: Silk Naturals Mineral Eye Shadows

As per my mineral haul post, I have ordered two eye shadows from Silk Naturals and Karen was nice enough to include a sample of another eye shadow. So, today, I'll be doing a review of all three of them.

Here are some photos of the product:





And here are some comparison swatches of the three eyeshadows with my M.A.C ones:


Firstly, all the eyeshadows are very finely milled. This means, there are minimal fall out, if you're using the right brush and base. And no chunky annoying glitters as well. =) All Silk Naturals' eyeshadows are talc-free, bismuth-free , and contains silk powder, which help giving it a very smooth texture and even application. Full size eyeshadows come in 5-gram sifter jars. You'll get around 2 grams of product, which will last you forever. LOL. Maybe not forever, but for quite a while.

All three eyeshadows that I've tried applied wonderfullly. Very very smooth application, with very minimal fallout. Now, I think it's only fair for me to review all three of them separately, as I have mixed feelings amongst these three.

Disco: This eyeshadow is suppose to be a dupe for M.A.C Revved-up pigment. I don't have Revved-up, so I'm not too sure how close it is to its dupe. It's a shimmery pinkish red with small flecks of golds. The color looks really well pigmented and pretty in the pot, but when it was applied on my lid, I was a bit dissapointed. Maybe I'm expecting too much from it, but it looks less pigmented on the lid. This is coming from a girl who's used to M.A.C's crazily pigmented pigments and eyeshadows. So, maybe I'm setting the bar way too high. Colorwise, it looks something between Apricot Pink and Rose pigments.

Silver Lining: This is a muted sliverish grey. Same goes for this. Nice texture, but dissapointing pay-off. I'm starting to think that maybe I'm just not made for mineral eyeshadows. When I ordered this, I was expecting something like M.A.C's Sliver Fog pigment (I LOVE Silver Fog). But when I tried this on, the color was not exciting at all. Just plain grey with some hints of sliver shimmer in it. It's pretty if you're looking for just a wash of color on the lid. But if you're looking for something more intense, then this is definitely not for you.

Boom: Boom is the sample that I got from Karen. This is said to be Shroom's dupe, and I have to agree with them. In fact, this is definitely a better dupe. It has way better color payoff than Shroom, and is everything that I have wished Shroom would be. If you love Shroom's color, but hated the payoff, then you should get yourself some Boom. Colorwise, it's something in between Femme-fi and Shroom, but more towards Shroom. I tried this after Disco and Silver Lining, and I was pleasantly suprised at the payoff and color. This is definitely my favorite out of the bunch.

Overall, the texture of the eyeshadows are very nice, but I was a bit dissapointed with the colors (except for Boom). Maybe I ordered the wrong colors. Or maybe I was expecting too much. Anyone tried their other eyeshadows before? Any good color recommendations for color junkies like me? =P

Anyways, hope all of you are having a great weekend! =)

0 comments:

Post a Comment