Saturday, May 29, 2010

Sun Smart: Budget Body Sunscreen

We've heard so much about how we should be slathering on sunscreen like no tomorrow. It's actually easier said than done. Whenever I squeeze those sunscreen out of their tubes, a bell will starting ringing at the back of my head and a voice will say "that's 10% of what you just paid and it's only for 1 application". LOL. Alright alright... It's not as creepy as it sounds like. But truth be told, that's what I feel every time I use sunscreen. This doesn't happen with other product though. Weird, I know. Maybe that's because you tend to pay a bit more for sunscreen, considering we only get like 30ml or 40ml of products (I'm talking to you Lancome!).

While I was preparing for my island trip last month, I just thought "that's it, I'm going on the hunt for the perfect budget sunscreen". I've looked high and low, smelled like 10 bottles of sunscreen til I thought I'm going to get high on sunscreen (is that even possible?), and finally found one that has the right balance on value for money, no crazy sunscreen smell, and feels perfect.


Let me introduce you to my new friend: Nivea Sun Moisturizing Sun Lotion in SPF50.

UVA / UVB Protection System
NIVEA SUN Caring Sun Lotion has an optimised balance of UVA and UVB filters to protect the health of your skin. NIVEA SUN provides immediate protection against sunburn, premature skin ageing and helps to reduce the risk of sun allergies. Water resistant. The caring formula with skin’s own Hydramine provides deep and long lasting moisture. -- nivea.com

I never liked using sunscreen. I hate the sticky feeling and the smell of it. But the Nivea Sun Lotion totally changed my mind about using sunscreen. This sunscreen come out as a thick white cream at first. It is surprisingly easy to spread, and the white-tint help me have a good gauge on where I've missed. After spreading it out, let it set for a minute or 2, and it'd become totally invisible. No white cast at all. Because of the non-sticky feel, you can't even tell that it's there. And as an added bonus, this sunscreen has moisturizing benefits too. Being out in the sun for too long as dry out your skin, and having a moisturizing sunscreen is definitely a must.

However, this is not completely sunscreen-smell-free. You can still get a bit of that sunscreen scent, but nothing too strong. As picky as I might be on this aspect, I can definitely tolerate the minimal amount of smell there.

Pros:
  • No sticky feeling, AT ALL. None. =)
  • No white cast left on the skin.
  • No strong sunscreen smell.
  • Readily available at an affordable price in all major drugstores.
Cons:
  • None! I can't find any.
Would I recommend this? Absolutely! If anyone approaches me for body sunscreen recommendation, I'd definitely tell them about this. Love this to pieces.It definitely kept me sunburn-free throughout my island escapade.

Do remember that this is a body sunscreen. Please do not attempt to use this on your face, as it might be too thick for your face, and might cause breakouts.

Do you have a favorite sunscreen? Leave me a comment and let me know! =)


Image source: Nivea

0 comments:

Post a Comment